I'm working with an international professional services firm who are looking to expand their newly created special situations team.
The team is the first line of response to opportunities arising from operational under-performance and/or financial pressure.
Such situations require multi-capability teams to deliver a full client solution, where bringing the best to clients is key to winning work. A collegiate approach to work is therefore essential.
SSG works with regional and large corporate clients across the UK and delivers a broad spectrum of corporate advisory work, including supporting clients in the following ways:
- Internal and external stakeholder stabilisation and management
- Short-term liquidity management
- Business plan assessment, challenge and analysis
- Identification and assessment of options
- Financing strategies
- Business disposals or managed exits
- Cash & working capital management
- Cost reduction and performance improvement
- Economic profitability assessments
- Development of integrated financial and operational turnaround plans
- Implementation support
Whilst the team is not aligned to specific sectors there are individuals with significant experience in certain sectors and specific functional and/or sector focus would be considered a benefit. Applicants however will be expected to work across all sectors and situations depending on client demand.
They are looking to recruit associates, managers and senior managers to join the team. The location is London but applicants will be required to operate nationally and may be required to work in other UK, European or international based locations depending on client demand. The role will involve working across a number of product types highlighted above and applicants should be ready to work in dynamic, flexible and fast-moving environments.
- Responsibility for delivery of client projects, taking the role as day to day contact on engagements
- Able to build and maintain strong, trusted adviser relationships with senior management and mid-level executives and other key stakeholders
- Manage teams of colleagues delivering engagements, ensuring effective delegation and multi-work stream delivery
- Deliver engagements and projects to scope, time, quality and budget complying with engagement management practices
- Communicate views and insights (both in writing and verbally) in an effective and compelling manner to clients and colleagues, able to adjust style to circumstances
- Lead the design and development of client ready deliverables with minimal Director and Partner input
- Work with Partners / Directors across the business development cycle, including development of proposals, client sales presentations and participation in client pitch presentations
- Coach and develop team members (and client staff) and provide high quality developmental feedback
- Develop insightful sector points of view on key strategic issues for your chosen sector(s) including leading or playing a key role in a sector campaigns as many ADs do, including attendance at pitches
- Identify, design and lead practice development initiatives, coordinating other members of the team
- Appraise challenging & fast developing situations and look to develop innovative solutions and assess options for stakeholders
Qualifications, Skills & Experiences
- Qualified accountant (ACA or equivalent)
- Strong commercial and business acumen
- Ability to communicate well across a range of operational and financial staff at all levels including Board Members and other Senior Executives. This is also often in challenging circumstances given the financial positions of the organisations we typically work with
- Ability to work innovatively and 'self start' and delegate effectively
- Ability to motivate a team to deliver outstanding work
- Desire to build wide advisory skill set and develop knowledge of all SSG offerings
- Ability to leverage personal and firm wide networks to support lead generation
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Demonstrable experience in leading multi-work stream advisory projects (successful candidates will need to demonstrate some experience in several or all of the financial restructuring, stakeholder advisory, turnaround, liquidity and business review disciplines)
- Experience at advising and working alongside a range of stakeholders, including PE firms, lenders, corporates and internal stakeholders ie. Sector Leads etc.
- Experience of being involved in at least one sector campaign
- An existing professional network of client relationships across corporates, lenders, private equity and/or other stakeholders
- Creative with a willingness to try new and different approaches - our clients often have multiple issues which may not be what we are initially expecting
- A positive team influence and achievements beyond the realms of project work