Our client is a well respected Corporate Finance Advisor within the Pensions and Covenant Advisory space. You could find yourself supporting scheme valuation negotiations on one day, and advising on the scheme impacts of a corporate transaction on the next.
In 2019 alone, they advised several schemes with high-profile sponsors, including M&A activity and distress scenarios. This gave Analysts a wide exposure to clients and their sponsors, as well as other advisors within pensions, M&A, and restructuring sub-sectors.
Analysts look after a number of clients, advising them through ongoing and project-based work.
This typically involves analysing financial statements, management forecasts, and pension scheme information. Your clients will likely vary in size and sector, from large international listed corporations and their subsidiaries, to small not-for-profit organisations.
Your work will focus on assessing the financial support provided to defined benefit pension schemes by their sponsoring companies, with the goal of assisting trustees in securing member's benefits. This gives you the opportunity to gain in-depth knowledge and experience of how particular companies/sectors operate and formulate the corresponding advice.
Your colleagues come from a variety of backgrounds, which will allow you to draw on a wide range of skills as you are conducting analysis and preparing advice. Client team structures are very flat, and you will get the opportunity to work closely with senior management and present your analysis to clients.
- Financial statement analysis, including:
- Identifying and explaining trends in profit and loss statements;
- Calculating free cash flow for affordability assessments;
- Assessment of balance sheet strength and competing creditors
- Market and industry research to identify key risks
- High-level analysis of actuarial valuations (no previous actuarial knowledge required)
- Critical analysis of management forecasts
- Draft reports in PowerPoint and Word (of above analysis)
- Day-to-day project management, including ownership of invoicing, calendar management, and meeting administration
- Monitor news-feeds and alerts for personal portfolio of clients
- Prepare pitch documents and, on occasion, presenting at pitches
- Present analysis to external stakeholders, including senior management teams at sponsors
- and trustee boards
- Record information from meetings, with both internal teams and external stakeholders
- Build relationships and communicate with other advisors, including actuaries, lawyers and investment consultants
* Relevant professional qualification (e.g. ACA, CFA, FIA)
* Confident understanding of accounts
* Strong written and verbal communication
* Leadership capabilities
* Adaptable work style
Desirable experience and training
* Financial analysis
* Report writing
* Microsoft Office proficiency
* S&P Capital IQ and/or Thomson Reuters Eikon familiarity
* Presenting to clients and other external stakeholders